There are some changes to the Iowa triathlon scene for 2015. Some we’re excited about, some not so much.
One change that has us looking forward to August is the debut of a new, spectator-friendly course for the Pigman Long Course. The 13.1 mile run will take place entirely within Pleasant Creek Park, with several loops so you can cheer on the racers. The bike course is changing to be more viewer-friendly, too. It will pass by the entrance to the park multiple times, at a spot easily accessible to spectators. Full details at www.pigmantri.com.
On the not-as-fun side, the Lake Geode Challenge will not be held this year. We hope this hiatus is short, and that this fun and challenging race will be back in 2016.
So This year, the Heart of America series will consist of eight races. Bluff Creek has moved to Lake Geode’s traditional July date.
Here is the full 2015 schedule:
- May 17 – Hickory Grove Triathlon
- Jun 7 – Pigman Sprint Triathlon
- Jun 20 – Quad Cities Triathlon
- Jul 18 – Bluff Creek Sprint and Olympic Triathlons
- Aug 2 – Camp Courageous Triathlon
- Aug 16 – Pigman Long
- Sept. 13 – Iowa’s Best Dam Triathlon
- Sept. 20 – Cy-Man Triathlon (Series Championship)
Series points are awarded for participating in each race, not matter where you finish. Series winners receive free entries into each of next year’s races.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR THE SERIES
There are no additional steps or hidden costs to participate in this series. When you complete one of the races in the series, your points will be automatically calculated and posted on this website.
HOW POINTS ARE RECEIVED AND CALCULATED
- Participants are awarded full points for all races they complete during the year.
- Overall winners (male & female) receive 1,000 points.
- Each participant earns points based on the percentage behind the overall winner. As an example, if your time is 20 percent slower than the overall winner, you will receive 800 points.